Basics of Handgun Competency Course
- Step 1: Read the entire Firearms Training Terms of Service and Conditions Agreement.
- Step 2: Complete the firearms training registration and agree to the Firearms Training Terms of Service and Conditions Agreement.
- Step 3: Receive access to the Basics of Handgun Competency course presentation online.
- Step 4: Download and or review lessons 1 and 2 of the Basics of Handgun Competency course presentation.
- Step 5: Participate in the instructor-led presentation of the entire Basics of Handgun Competency course.
- Step 6: Pass the 20 question written examination and 25 round shooting qualification at 7 yards on a standard B-27 target.
Upon successful completion of the Basics of Handgun Competency Course, with a score of 80% or better on the written examination and shooting qualification, you will receive a Certificate of Firearms Training in your name demonstrating basic handgun competency in accordance with Virginia State Law Section § 18.2-308.02, 1950, as amended. If you do not pass the range qualification on your first attempt you may retake it one additional time.